What is KoMSO?
The Committee for Mathematical Modeling, Simulation and Optimization (KoMSO) is a strategic alliance that was founded in 2011 in response to the Strategietag Mathematik 2020 (Strategy Day for Mathematics), a component of the Strategy Dialogue for Mathematics. The latter was established by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research during the Year of Mathematics 2008.
At the Strategietag mathematicians, natural and engineering science professionals as well as computer scientists from industry, interest groups, academia and research organizations discussed ways to increase the visibility of mathematics as engine for innovation in today’s and tomorrow’s society as well as possibilities to entrench state-of-the-art mathematics as new field of technology in industry and academia.
It is KoMSO’s declared aim to gradually realize the goals of the Strategietag Mathematik 2020. The KoMSO Coordination Office is located at the Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing (IWR) in Heidelberg.
KoMSO is dedicated to gradually implement the objectives of the Strategy Day for Mathematics 2020:
- Facilitation and Coordination of regional and national Networks
- Promotion of Further and New Development of MSO Methods and their Application
- Proposing and Implementing Events regarding Key Issues to identify new Challenges for Research and Development
- Determining Guiding Principles for Key Research Topics
- Consultation for Research Aid Programs
- Quality Evaluation and Management of MSO
- Promoting Young Scientists
- Promoting Scientific Environments of MSO
- Promoting Industrial Application
- Information Exchange
- Introducing Success Stories
KoMSO is also part of the European Service Network of Mathematics for Industry and Innovation (EU-MATHS-IN), an initiative to facilitate mathematics for industry in Europe.